Claire James, age twenty-three, is ready to make it on her own. When she’s fired from her job as a waitress and subsequently kicked out of her sister’s home, she sees it as an opportunity to start over. But even before moving, a thirty-five-year-old love letter written to her mother keeps Claire stuck in the past. Michael Thompson, a middle-aged real estate agent, wants to keep the past where it belongs – at least until his grown daughter is married. But, then a young woman comes to town . . .Read a Sample Chapter
Tour of Capitola
What Others Are Saying
“A delightful debut that will wrap around your heart and have you turning pages.”
-Jenny B. Jones, award-winning author of Save the Date and Just Between You and Me
“Delivered with Love whisks readers away to a breezy California beach town. Sherry Kyle has created an engaging story of forgiveness, sweet romance, and faith reawakened–and I looked forward to every page. A fun and charming debut!”
-Julie Carobini, author of A Shore Thing and Fade to Blue
“In Sherry Kyle’s touching debut novel, Delivered with Love, young Claire James discovers old secrets, new surprises, and the kind of ‘coincidences’ only a loving God could orchestrate. Her inquisitive drive takes the reader on a compelling quest for answers, as her sweet heart is challenged by matters of family, identity, forgiveness, and love. You’ll enjoy the adventure!” ~ Trish Perry, author of Unforgettable and Tea for Two
Sherry would be thrilled to meet your book club through Skype and discuss the following questions.
Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Discussion Questions for Delivered with Love
1. The story begins in L.A. with the memorial of Claire’s mother, Emily. Have you lost someone you love? What was it like at the memorial? Do you relate to Claire’s desire to be alone?
2. When Claire is fired from her job as a waitress and kicked out of her sister’s home, do you think her deci- sion to go to Capitola is based on becoming indepen- dent or her desire to hold on to her mother’s memory? What role did the old love letter play?
3.Vivian encourages Claire to pursue her dreams. What do you dream about? What is stopping you from going after what you want?
4. Relationships are difficult and take work. Communication is key. Describe Claire’s relationship with her sister Haley. What about Michael and his wife, Sandy? How do these relationships change as the story evolves?
5. Money is a topic that is brought up in Delivered with Love. How does the lack of money affect Michael? What could he have done differently? What does the Bible say about worry in Matthew 6:25-34?
6. Harry and Pearl, as well as Tom and Nancy, are basically strangers and yet they help Claire in different ways when she’s in need. Have you ever been the recipient of a stranger’s kindness? Tell about a time you showed kindness to a stranger?
7. Besides a romantic interest, Blake shows Claire the importance of prayer and having a relationship with God. How does his consistency and example help Claire grow spiritually? Is there someone in your life who’s done the same for you?
8. Michael wants to forget his past. How does one lie lead to another? Why is it so difficult to forgive ourselves for our past mistakes? In what way does guilt play a role? Courage?
9. What is your impression of Geraldine? Why do you think her character is so important to the story? How does she encourage Claire? Challenge Michael?
10. Claire had a big decision to make whether to stay in Capitola or go back to L.A. Do you think she made the right one? Why or why not? What would you have done in her situation?
11. The information Michael receives finally causes him to take the high road. What do you think is the most important factor or person in this transformation? Did you learn anything from Michael’s journey
12. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” How do these verses pertain to the main characters in Delivered with Love? What is one way you can apply these verses to your life?